6.17.2009

Magical Catty

I am currently doing what I planned on doing. Cleaning out my Tarot chest, and organizing my burgeoning pile of decks, and bags, sorting my little white books, and just spending time with them. I am feeling better and more connected already. I had to abandon the pile, half done, to come talk about Harmony for a little bit, though. My thoroughly magical familiar, Harmony.

I went out on the porch for a few minutes, to talk to my son and one of the neighbor kids, leaving my Tarot chest open, and my decks strewed about the table. I was in the process of folding all my cloths, when I left the room. As I'm chatting with the neighbor kid, I hear Miss Harmony maowling piteously, her lonely "where did you go!?" mao. I came back inside, to find the chest closed tight, and her perched on the lid, like a gargoyle, looking at me with crazy eyes. I walked over to her, murmuring, calming her down, reassuring that I didn't really go anywhere, just outside for a minute, she calmed immediately, and jumped from the box, onto my shoulder. (This was cute when she was a baby, now it's 15 pounds of claws and ouch, but I indulge her).

I thought it was so charming, that she was guarding my stuff from God-knows-what, and worried about my disappearance, I came right over here to talk about it. She was curled around my neck for a minute, but now she's standing protectively on the back of my chair.

Harmony is my familiar. She came to me, despite the "no cat" and "no more pets" rules we had in place. She came to me a bit too young to be weaned, so I had to care for her, for a bit, and feed her cat food and kitty formula, till she got the hang of it. She rode around on my shoulder, or in my shirt, or draped across my neck for the duration of her kitten hood. She slept mixed in my pillows, or between my ankles. She even named herself. We had a two week long debate about her name, till one day, I was laying on my tummy on the bed, reading a Earth Air Fire & Water, by Scott Cunningham, looking something up, when she planted her kitten butt down on the page, and framed a word with her two front paws. "Harmony". I looked at her, and was like "really? That's what you want? Okay...." And it stuck.

She is not a nice cat. She is not a cuddly-wuddly docile pet kitty. She is a bi-polar diva, who will lay around all sweet and alluring, till someone stoops to scratch her exposed white belly...then WHAM claws and teeth. She needs to be near people, she wants you, she wants your adoration, and attention. On her terms. Only. She keeps the other pets in check, and mannerly, even if she isn't very mannerly herself.

Most importantly, she is ALWAYS involved in my ritual work, unless it's outside. She helps me choose components, do readings, cast circles, walk in other planes, write spells, and so on. She has a very keen sense of mojo. When I do "high" readings, for myself, when I cleanse the space, and go there, oftentimes, she comes with me. She perches protectively at the corner of the table, and sits patiently. She is very keyed into my energy, her antics often reflect my own feelings, so when she bites a hole in someones hand, usually it's because Mama isn't happy.

I couldn't ask for a better familiar. She's like the feline extension of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment