5.19.2010

They are not a scientific calculator.

Been thinking about cerebral versus intuitional tarot reading. Lately, I've been getting way too thinky, and really analyzing every aspect of every card, turning each one into this mental labyrinth that's easy to get lost in. That's fine when studying, or really picking apart every aspect of the Thoth deck, but when reading, when doing what I do best, the logic and thinking have to have to take a back seat to intuition. My gut response, my initial "this is it" has been taking a backseat to elaborate pondering, and critical thinking, this pointed turning each card over and over in my mind, using it as a tool.  Cold logic.  Good for most things, hindering my reading style.

So, on impulse, today I went and looked at oracle decks. These are decks that hold any number of cards, and they can be about whatever the hell they want.  No stringent tarot guidelines.  Just a bunch of images designed to provoke intuition.  I ordered a few, with a few more on my wish list, and I'm going to try working them into my typical card flipping, and just let my mind fly again, instead of bogging it down with associations, dignities, numerology, astrology, alchemy, geometry, and all that.

I have to start meditating again.  I had this problem a few years ago, when I was studying cards too hard, and not connecting with them.  They became something like a chore, and as a result, hard to read.  I can't afford that, now.  I really have to make some changes, or find my groove again.

No comments:

Post a Comment