5.02.2010

Moving into the big time.

I'm getting involved with a paying gig, at the bar across the street.  Bill the Best Bartender Ever wants me to come read a few times a month. The last card reader they had, Bill says, pulled in $200-300 a night.  I can do that.  Hell, I read cards there more than a few times a month, for falling down drunks, for love, noteriety, and free drinkies, till I, myself join the falling down drunks.  I'll come in dressed up, with the little cloth, and trappings, and my dirty and beat down decks.  I'll smile, and refrain from swearing, and drink nothing but water and occasionally coffee, and I stand to make a chunk of change.  Lucky break! Lucky me.  I can do it, for sure.  I get all these second guesses, like, "what if I'm not good enough?"  But, then I know, I am.  Cynics will come play "Stump the Psychic" and I'll find their mother issues.  Drunks will come to me depressed, and leave reassured.  It's not about the money, it's about the act of touching other people's lives in some small way, in an unlikely setting.  I want to share my gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment