1.06.2009

Is the Mystic Dreamer my cop-out?

Nothing against the deck itself, of course, but it's such a convienent and accessable deck. In my "New Deck Interview" spread, it confessed that one of its shortcomings was the 6 of Cups. A little too nurturing? A little too motherly? That's what I got, considering the very image on that card is a mother and daughter, filling 6 cups full of flowers. To me, it's such a soft, fuzzy, nonthreatening deck, it even makes the bad news easier to handle, sort of like when your mom breaks it to you.

Now, why would this be a cop out? Because the other deck I'm involved with, currently, is the Thoth. That is NOT a soft, fuzzy deck. It is NOT nonthreatening. In fact, when I did the deck interview, and asked it to tell me a little about itself, I got the very foreboding 8 of Swords. Thoth calls this card Interference. I read it as a huge, black, pointy fence. Mainly I want to dig deeper, with this deck, and ultimately make it my main deck for readings. I am so drawn to the mythos, the imagery, and the history of this deck and it's enigmatic creator. I want this in my life. It's a lot to swallow, though. When I study (and I mean really study) the Thoth, after while, it feels like someone opened my cranial cavity and poured seltzer in there. Everything is blurry and sharply bubbly, and nothing makes sense afterwhile.

Some reflections: I am the kind of girl who needs to learn on the fly, and "get" things quickly. I am a very fast learner, so this is ok, most of the time. I also like the challenge of having to work at something. I plan on taking the Thoth in small, intense doses, while practicing reading, and just sorta "palling around" with my Mystic Dreamer.

I have two more decks, coming in the mail in the next week, one very artsy deck called the Gilded, which is loaded with color and vibrant images, and a recolored version of the old chestnut, Rider-Waite-Smith. I was thinking of using the RWS as my reading deck, it's more formal and more familiar than the Mystic Dreamer, and less, well...dreamy. I guess I'll cross that bridge when they get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment