1.06.2009

Containment, care, and feeding

So, I have three working decks, currently, and one retired deck. I have yet to work out an effective system to storing them.

Some people leave them in the original boxes, and stack them on a bookshelf. That's too formal, and too "exposed" for me. Exposed to dust, weird energies, all that. Another thing that doesn't work is this; I hate putting them in and taking them out of cheap, flappy cardboard boxes. The boxes get demolished, cramming them into said boxes can damage the cards, and it's just so fussy. When I used to play Magic: The Gathering, I did away with those boxes on the way home from the store, pretty much. I kept them in special "deck boxes" which were sturdier two piece boxes, with no flaps, or whatever.

I'm thinking of some combination of boxes and bags, for my decks. Maybe wooden boxes, and organza bags. The bags are transparent, crispy fabric, that offeres little protection. I think I want one good sturdy lined bag, to carry my "on the go" deck. I have two wooden boxes, already, that are both small. In fact, one just fits my huge Thoth deck, and I think that's what will live there. It's such a majestic deal, it wants to live by itself, in its own special box. I need a nice piece of fabric to wrap around it, though, to cushion it.

Then, there's the question of herbs. I use herbs in many aspects of my life, both mundane and spiritual. It's only natural that I enhance my vision and intuition with some mugwort, or eyebright. I'm considering packing pinches of both with individual decks, and having a cup of mugwort tea, as part of my tarot homework ritual time. Also, scent. Scent is so evocative. My RWS wants to smell like a rose. A sacred, lovely, multilayered rose. My Mystic Dreamer wants something dreamy, like lavender, smoky like sage, sweet, like vanilla.

Then, my Thoth deck, is all static and cling. How to de-static it? The whole giant deck just clings to its glossy self.

Somehow, I have to make sense of boxes, bags, and individual decks, herbs, scents, temperaments...Who knew they would demand such upkeep?

No comments:

Post a Comment