3.25.2009

Listing my Faults

Writing about my complacency down there made me think of other bad habits I fall into:


Buying decks, looking them over twice, and stashing them.

-One one hand, I have a few decks that I was smitten over, in the store (or online) bought, and was immediately bored with them. On the other hand, I often remedy this by coming around eventually and really falling in love with the deck...after it collects dust for a month.

Becoming intimidated by a deck, and stashing it.

-When we get down to brass tacks, I can read with every single one of my decks, even the scary ones (scary, here means any number of things...) Sometimes, though, just the very thought of delving into my Thoth or Haindl is akin to climbing Mt. Everest, and I find myself turning to my "comfort" decks, which are n0n-challenging.

Constantly researching and talking myself into maybe buying new decks.

-I mean really, I haven't even so much as picked UP my Universal Fantasy (and Haindl, and Morgan-Greer, and...and...), except to do one spread. Do I really NEED another? Well. Sometimes I do. I should resolve this by promising to really work with one of my non-commonly-used decks, per month (or week), along with buying the new ones. On the upside, here it is almost April, and I'm not jonsing for a new one, just yet. Decks go out of print. I sometimes kind of have to get them (as in the Morgan Greer). I just have to take time to love it, and get used to it.


These three things are tied together, it looks like. Glad I wrote about it, because now I have some kind of structure. I won't stop buying new decks, because I'm not obsessive about it, and I can fit them well in my budget. I also will try to spend time with each and every deck, at least a solid week. I can't promise that it will be instead of my comfort decks, but definitely along with. I also won't say I'll leap right into using them as soon as I get them. Some decks take time to adjust to, and some simply have a time-place issue. The decks that are truly don't do it for me should move on to someone that will love them more. I'm thinking of gifting Alden my Gilded.

No comments:

Post a Comment