6.07.2014

I haven't written in awhile, here or anywhere, I'm verging on rusty.  This blog is fast becoming "observations on reading professionally" and since that's where I'm at, I guess, that's what it's about.

My space is complete, and gorgeous.  The downstairs of VV is its usual disgusting mess, and my room is this precious little treasure chest upstairs.  Joy loaned me her couch, which is this sweeping baroque sectional that curves halfway around my room...a total conversation piece, and a real looker.  Leah was kind enough to hook me up with her mother in law, who is moving and downsizing, and I netted some wonderful pieces of furniture, including a writing desk, a half-round glass table, and some other gorgeous pieces.  I'm furnished.  I'll never fill my place with stuff to sell, I've had a few nominal objects, like incense burners, herbs and stones, and no one seems interested in buying anything.

I do get customers, though.  My ideal amount of customers per day, I worked it out, is about 8, with a mix of small and larger readings, it would be financially perfect, and right in line with my energy level.  So far, I'm averaging about four a day.  Which makes it worth it to come in, but not quite profitable, yet.

Some things:  I love "seasoned" sitters, the women that come in already decked in stones, positivily radiating...something, some energy.  They're open, honest, and they know how to work with me for the best results.

I have one regular, she's a teenager, comes in for five dollar readings frequently.  She sits there tight lipped and enigmatic.  When the reading is over, I ask, as always, is everything clear? Does that make sense?  She nods, and takes off in a hurry.  Then she comes back.  The first time I read for her, I was thinking, ok, she was a curious person, one and done. I do a lot of $5 quickies like that, or kids or couples that are in to shop, then I never see them again.  But she came back, and back, and she asks a very vague question...like today it was "Family" and I read and saw some things, and she nods, tight lipped, giving me nothing, and then takes off.  I like her, she's a challenge.  As long as she keeps coming in, (and bringing friends, which sometimes happens), I'll know she's satisfied.  Today, the family question...3 cards $5, and it pulled a LOT of shit out.  I hate when that happens, because really, for five bucks, we're not going deep. But when something huge comes up there, I automatically want to help, and dig deeper.  I have to really restrain myself.

I've been meeting so many excellent people, mostly women, of every walk of life, and it's completely fascinating.  I love helping people.  I love that they trust me enough to dig into their huge life things, through my cards.  I earnestly want to befriend, and help every person that walks through my door.  I've only had very few encounters that felt stiff or odd, or off.

Some other things about doing this for a living.  I practice every day.  I crush herbs and resins, and make incense for my shop every single day.  I find myself devouring herbals and obscure books, just to learn more about everything.  I do magic, literally, every day.  I've become,  I feel, pretty goddamned good at glyphs, and I'm mastering blending incense, so that not only is it really effective...now I'm getting things to smell good too...a real departure for me.  Sure I can make an incense to purify and protect my place, but can I make it smell good?  That was the challenge, making a powerful blend that doesn't smell like burning socks.  I find myself with time to study schools that I never really looked at, like Hoodoo, and Vodun and all those Caribbean and South American traditions...good stuff...and palm reading. I keep trying to pick that up, too.  I feel like if I master that, it'll throw open more opportunities.

I'm settling in nicely here.  I've found something of a routine, and I'm working out the kinks in my schedule.  I think I'm finally even over the anxiety that all the downstairs VV drama brings me.

But, I feel like no matter what, no matter where I am, this is my calling.  Having this opportunity here at VV, maybe it's a giant hassle in some ways, but it's definitely shown me in a very short time that there's nothing in the world I'd rather do.  If these four walls are temporary, my being a professional tarot reader is definitely my calling, and I'll move mountains to keep pursuing it, here or anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment